Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Change Your Mindset in 30 minutes or Less

As a second year teacher I know that I am just beginning to embark on my career and have a lifetime of learning ahead of me. Although, some days I really feel like I am on a roll and in a groove and think hey I am totally cut out for this teaching gig. While, other days I find myself consumed with the never ending to do list, new material to learn, teach and assess, and therefore wondering what in the world am I doing?!? 

Gahh. Stress. Frustration. Gross. 

I know there are highs and lows with every career so it's important for me to find a healthy outlet for those days, like today, where I am just a little exhausted. After talking with a friend tonight I know that everyone experiences these same feelings in one way or another. She happened to just be finishing up with a yoga class and sounded on top of the world, while there was me on the other end sounding very similar to Eeore from Winnie the Poo, pathetic. After some brainstorming we both decided I needed to do something with my night to clear my head and relax so that tomorrow I can be rejuvenated with a new mindset because mindset is everything.

Here are some ways to change your mindset/attitude in 30 minutes or less: 

1.) Call a friend: talking to someone that will just let you vent is 100% necessary for your mental health even if you do sound ridiculous. Whether your venting is rational or not we all need that person or people that will just listen to us go on. Keeps us sane. Feels good to get all that out! 

2.) Take a yoga class: if you can't make it to an actual yoga class, get on youtube and search yoga. This might be an even better option some times because this way you can do some deep breathing and stretching in your living room in your pajama pants if you want to! Pajama yoga? Ahh I feel better already. 

3.) Run: 1 mile, 2 miles or even 3! Keep going if you can! Really doesn't matter how fast you go or how far. Give yourself that time to be outside, on your own, with fresh air and double points if there is sunshine!  Have you ever seen someone after a run in a bad mood? Give yourself sometime outside and you are guaranteed to be in a better mindset when you finish. 

4.) Bath time: warm bath, good book, lavender scented bath soap? If this doesn't relax you then I don't know what to tell you.

5.) Write: in a journal, on a blog, twitter, instagram, so many outlets, maybe too many! Either way, get your thoughts on their so they stop cramming your brain! 

How do you de-stress after a long day?

2 comments:

  1. I think a run pretty much always changes my mindset!!!
    PS - Go Tigers!!! I miss having Mizzou fans around me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's amazing what a run can do for us mentally in such a short time!

      M-I-Z

      Delete